Friday, September 28, 2012

Happy Birthday Baby!


Where did September go?  Or even more accurate … Where did that YEAR go?!  My baby boy is ONE year old tomorrow!  When did that happen?  I swear I was just telling people we were expecting yesterday! 

What a year it has been.  If you told me a year ago that we would have done the things we have done, I would not have believed you.  Ryan has made our lives even better than we could have imagined.  It’s hard to put into words having a son who at first is your worst fear embodied: a genetic disorder!  When we found out that Ryan has achondroplasia, at first I could only think about medical hurdles, social difficulties, and physical limitations.  All things that were completely on the opposite end of the spectrum from what I had envisioned for 9 months!  It didn't take long to fall for Ryan.  And as Scott and I learned about achondropliasia and about Ryan’s specific case, we found ourselves pleasantly surprised that little people have perfectly normal, happy, healthy lives!  Of course we have had a few extra doctor’s appointments and/or minor  issues … but they are just that.  Minor.  And to top it off, Ryan has risen above everything that has come his way.  It’s hard to explain, but I am overwhelmed with pride when I think of Ryan’s past, present and future.  He’s more than just “normal” – he’s my Ryan: perfect in every way.

Here are a few pictures looking back over this first year …

Here I am at one of my showers … I’m 33 weeks here!



Happy family:



Homecoming!!




First time meeting his feline brother Tobey:



Helping mom and dad find the perfect Christmas tree for his first Christmas!



Yay for Holidays!



One of our “less fun” adventures …



Say cheese …



My little bunny and his first Easter Basket …



First time at the race track!





First birthday party!



Go Giants!



First time at the family cabin …




First swim class!



Fight On!



First vacation … what a vacation it was!



First Snorkel ...?  




It’s fitting that Ryan’s birthday is at the end of September … right in time for October - which is National Dwarfisim Awareness Month!  Ryan has opened my eyes, my heart and my mind.  I can’t wait to learn more about dwarfism and to help make a difference.  I feel lucky that today, people are more accepting of differences, but we still have a long way to go!  Thankfully, Ryan has a massive support group in our friends and family. 



Here’s to Ryan! … the most amazing, perfect, lovely boy – I couldn't ask for anything more. 

... On to the next adventure!

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post! Happy 1st Birthday RYAN!!! So fun to look at your year in at a glance - what a wonderful 365 days it has been for you. :) XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so crazy but I thought I posted a comment for my Ryan's 1st bday!!!!!! How could it not be here!!!! So weird!!!!! Well Happy Birthday you sweet, adorable boy!!!!

    I wanted to get in touch with you because there is a new Achon in town who apparently lives close to you. Can you email me your contact info. and I will get it to her. She actually found your blog and then contacted me to see if I could connect the two of you. :) Ryan is going to have a friend!!!!!!! Granshaw5@aol.com

    ReplyDelete